Monday, April 03, 2006

broke back love...Archive!!!

broke back love!
Despite my busy schedule, I made time out to watch broke Back Mountain otherwise known as the gay cowboy movie….and yes it shocked me out of my skin like it did everyone else. Where do you start with things like this? Its cast and producers are to be applauded for their bravery and novelty. And with Oscar just a couple of days away, I daresay they will be rewarded for their efforts. Despite my glowing review of this movie, I can only reflect on a message the movie exudes, something that seems to have been ignored completely by its viewer ship, even by myself. This message was first brought to my attention by a TIME reader who pointed out the effects of the movie’s plot on wives of the main characters. After watching the movie, I could see what she saw. Yes the guys were in “love”. Yes, the plot was touching. Yes, we live in a cruel world; however…their wives seemed to be forgotten in all of this. A string of broken hearts and disrupted lives are what I saw as the after effects of this outré liaison, could that sort of “love” have been true? And if so, was it such a good thing, considering its doomed certainty!
I’m not sure if this movie preceded or permeated the topical discussions of lavender marriages in the UK and the outing of the politicians involved in them, but this just goes to show how people’s lives are affected by these “arrangements”; ignoring the circus the media made out of it. It is time people became less judgmental and focused on the things that are important to the growth of our societies; just imagine if these people were not ousted; would it change our perception on their abilities?
As a young man in my twenties, I don’t believe in love. In whatever form it presents itself. Some call it naivety, others say denial but I still stick to my argument that love is for shmucks. It after all is a situation that leaves you with a future of couldawoulashoulda’s no? If we are all meant to fall in love but not with certain people, surely that rubbishes the very idea of the spontaneous uncontrollable feeling that is meant to be inherent in us. Or are we just conforming to society?
Sigh. I’m off to bed. A full day at uni and a six hour shift has left me knackered. Am off to bed!
P.s was in London and saw Les Miserables there which was fantastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home