Monday, April 03, 2006

the joys of the African Youth...Archive!!!

the joys of the African Youth!
I can’t believe that I have not put in any entries in my blog in the last week or two. I suppose it is understandable as I have been incredibly busy in the last week. I’ve managed to turn in all my course work at university, meet up to my obligations with work (paid job) and meet up to my obligations with reference to the university newspaper. Now I am just relaxing to some good music and expressing.
This brings me to the funny thing that’s been on my mind all week. Earlier in the week, as we walked home from the train station, I chatted to my Tanzanian friend on the plight of the African youth. Whilst in his/her country, he/she is subjected to utter hopelessness…and the situation doesn’t change much when he/she comes to “greener pastures”. I was of the opinion that more African youths needed to take charge of their lives and focus on empowering themselves as is done here. The chap I was talking to, after a couple of minutes of talk soon made me realize that the African youth really didn’t have a choice in terms of empowerment, his/her future prospects was indeed a dire one. Its funny how, when we experience life differently we loose touch with the “other side” of life. Even though I argued differently on that night, I suppose I could consider myself fortunate to have experienced so much in my short life. I remember my first job at the ministry of works and housing not very far from where I lived. It was a bit of a joke really, all my friends at the time couldn’t fathom the reasons behind my working at this utterly dull un-sexy place. I went on to two more jobs from then on and I don’t regret one moment of it however, did I go through this experiences as a result of my being a talented young man with foresight and good karma or is that the opportunity awaiting every young African who reaches out for it?
Speaking to another friend earlier today gave the answer to that question. We Africans have refused to face up to the fact that our society is failing and will continue to do so as we ignore our problems. This friend of mine, poor chap, incredibly brilliant and talented; gave me a sad account of his experience at the hands of a visa officer at the American Embassy in Nigeria. Regardless of the situation around his application, the fact remains that this young man was desperate, a situation evident to the interviewer! This sad occurrence is common place as foreigners are now aware of our dirty linen, our under privileged youth!
A few minutes ago, best mate Eniola rang me with awful news of a friend’s passing, a young lady not much older than us. Does this day anything about the future of the African youth? I fear for the future…..

1 Comments:

At 4:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I just read this now. I guess this is conincidence to what I am writing now, as it may seem.

Thanks for this beatiful post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home