Monday, January 29, 2007

pan's labyrinth

I recently saw the movie pan's labyrinth or Laberinto del Fauno, El in spanish! It is the story of a young girl who accompanies her pregnant mother to live with her new husband. The story is laced with tragedy and melacholy but best of all....fantasy and folk tale. Bear in mind, the movie is set in Franco's spain. Seeing that movie reminded me of my latest trip home which brought me closer to my traditions and folk as a yoruba-Nigerian. I remember as my mother specially made moin-moin (steamed bean cakes) for me with ewe (palm leaves used to wrap the bean paste in), she spoke to the moin-moin to cook properly and set. She admonished the fire for being to harsh and prayed that the moin moin came out in tact.
Culture and tradition is a beautiful thing...it is evident in all societies and extremly beautiful in Africa! It is lovely when you think about how when cooks fry puff puff (buns) they litter the ground with the first few they fry or how your oriki (praise song) tells of who you are or where you are from.
In pan's labyrinth, a central character orfelia; tells her baby brother still in her Mother's womb not to kill their mother as he ventures out to the world. Folk and tradition are distinct parts of society, do you know anything about yours?

8 Comments:

At 12:28 pm, Blogger uknaija said...

You're right- my parents made sure we were steeped in our traditions even if in other ways they were very Western and liberal. I didn't really appreciate all the drilling then and the frequent trips to the village but now I'm glad I'm so strongly rooted in both traditions

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger Naijadude said...

I sure do know about mine, its so amazing how strong of a hold it does have on us yet we seem not to acknowledge it in our everyday life.
The yoruba traditions still got me smiling whenever I remember about them....

Nice post!

 
At 11:44 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Folk and Tradition are unique. Nothing can ever change that.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

Of course! If only we would embrace ours more and accept american cultural hegemony less....

 
At 1:00 am, Blogger naijabelle said...

My dad used to take us to the eyo festival seeing that we are from isale eko and one of the eyo is named after our family name and someone from the family would have to dress in the eyo outfit.Very, very cool.Food and drinks and the eyo chasing me, my brother and cousins and u will be damned if they lay hold of you.Can't trade these traditions and experiences for anything

 
At 2:19 am, Blogger Nilla said...

Yeah I know about some of my traditions.

I'll really like to see this movie (Pan's Labyrinth), just saw the preview for the first time today. It's nominated for 6 oscars.

 
At 2:30 pm, Blogger uknaija said...

You ok?

 
At 12:24 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

thanks man, i've just been in a bit of a zone...stuff i'd rather leave out of my blog so i dont bore all ya'll to death!!! lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home