Thursday, March 22, 2007

Feng Shui and new beginnings!

I finally got around to it! I wasn't going to do it but i eventually did. It wasn't solely of my own doing of course, Jean Francois helped. That's not fair, he prompted it! Lol, it's hilarious to think about it now as he hankered on and on in that Parisian accented English of his..."It eez not difficult a thing, no?"
So we eventually feng shuied my bedroom and finished at about midnight! I must admit, i can feel the positive vibes already! It also helps that i don't have to cross the damn bedroom to switch off the lamps. It is a nice feeling to be able to clack away at my computer and stare out of the window for the odd day dream, although i must warn that there isn't much of a view outside. Unless of course, the weather turns out for the better and then the blue Skies compensate!
I realise how important ambiance is to me. I know its awful for global warming but since my bedroom is my favourite personal space and i love being here, i do everything necessary to get the feel right! I perpertually leave nice music on in the background like SADE, Jill Scott or even Amadou and Mariam. Then there is the one lamp in the right corner of the room so it lights up the room with the right hues. It's great to come back to that after an exhausting day, the best therapy for me. Most would disagree of course, but i don't imagine going out on the lash is therapy for an exhaustive day.
Talking about new beginnings and clearing the air, rang HA yesterday after a long while. HA is an incredibly intelligent and beautiful woman who knows what she is doing. One of the few Nigerian women of a certain age one can have a cerebral conversation with. Our conversation reinforced my remembered impressions of her. We had dealings in the past when i lived in Nigeria but unfortunately parted on less amicable terms. However as can be expected, she put all that behind her and has gotten on with it. Incredibly posh and very stylish (not in the garish over indulgent way that is the Nigerian society woman), i grudgingly admit that she at some point established a position as one of my mentors. She has gone on to author two books including a children's book, an idea i think is marvellous in light of the Nigerian cultural loss and American ideological hegemony. I will be blogging about this as soon as i receive my copy. It is good to see someone with money finally doing things that could possibly effect societal change!
On the subject of people with money effecting societal change, read an entry on an enchanting blog called Bella naija on Nigerian rich kid Taofiq Okoya's new project on Nigerian Dolls. You can read about it here, but that was of little interest to me. I found it most interesting (as with most blogs) to read the wide range of comments for that entry, i suggest anyone reading this do the same. Yes the said dolls are size zero, with straight hair and big breasts but so what? Should they be fat with kinky hair? Would that reinforce African identity? Is that African Identity? Of course, if the said producer had any brains he would scan through the message boards to get a better understanding of what his potential consumers would like. That said, i believe it is a good starting point in combating the ideological conquer of the African continent. Perhaps, if we gave it a change; this might lead onto better things. For the moment i can't be any happier, new beginnings after all present new opportunities no?

3 Comments:

At 7:01 pm, Blogger Quest said...

I agreed with the comments on the hairstyles (we are born with natural hair after all), and I think nigerians need to be a lot less quick to defend stuff like this just because a nigerian did it (the whole "don't hate" complex). On the other hand, I disagree with the calls for an "African look." There really is no such thing. I have a small nose, and I've met many nigerians with almond-shaped eyes. And it is a complete lie that Nigerian women are naturally (or supposed to be) fat. I've blogged about this self-reinforcing stereotype before. Women were encouraged to eat a lot because being plump was a sign of beauty in certain parts of the country, and that is why we've had so many big women traditionally. But if you look at the younger generation (who are dealing with new diets OR poverty), you'll notice that many nigerian women are slim or of regular weight.

 
At 1:00 am, Blogger Naijadude said...

I didnt quite get it, are you insinuating the supposed dolls should have come sizes the young Nigerian kid could identify with, in the shape of their aunties? mothers or sisters? rather than incorporating "american lifestyle" into theirs??

Hmm I must say I just adore your taste in music. ehn how can I get Mariam's song or prolly just sample some I mean...LOL

 
At 2:27 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

Thanks all for stopping by!
@ everchange: I understand your perspectives on the hairstyle thing however it doesn't apply any more. Our society HAS changed. Girls all have straightened hair and weaves and such and that is the truth...don't think there is any going back on that one! This is the sort of thing Norbert Elias was talking about.
@ Naijadud: I wasn;t insinuating anything actually, the rhetoric of my questions were plain. What is the African identity and who decides it? In contemporary African society, things have changed so much and discourse ignored that no one seems to know any more. With regards to Mariam and Amadou, you can get a link on one of my earlier posts titled more music, the stuff is brill!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home