Saturday, February 16, 2008

Back from London town....

So london was great...as can only be expected. I saw the phantom of the Opera which lived up to its glorious reviews. It is interesting to note that it has run uninterrupted since 1986 and still sells to a sellout audience every night. One can see why, considering the incredible vocals and impressive stage craft. The scene stealer for me was Wendy Jackson who plays Carlotta, you can read more about her impressive CV here...
And so my friend goes to get drinks whilst i observe all that goes on around me during the intermission. The place is full of couples all similar in their outlook, youngish, smart casual, whispering sweet nothings as the women clutch roses. It suddenly occurs to me that its valentine's (all this happened on thurs the 14th) and i almost kick myself for forgetting. I laugh at the idea of what my friend and i must look like to other people and promptly mention this to him when he arrives to which the cheeky bugger replies "well they'd only think you've done well for yourself".. it doesn't help that i accidently spill a bottle of pop on the lady sitting in front of me. I suspect my profuse apologies doesn't go down to well with her but i am just happy her 6foot 2 rugby player looking partner doesn't seem to mind...notin dey happen....

I've had a difficult week up until wednesday when i went to London. I was under achieving in my targets, my grades were not the best and i'd recieved a severe bollocking from my dissertation supervisor for what he describes as my lackluster work. It doesn't help that i also recieve a rejection letter for a job i'd applied for at the start of the year. I question myself on my abilities, am i as clever as people say i am? what is wrong with me? why can't i achieve consistently? Insecurities abound as i ask these questions but i am determined to overcome them....

I stayed in a beautiful part of London not far from St John's wood which i fell in love with. The lovely clean streets and large georgian style houses captured my heart and attention but it was the quaint village square that really did it for me. Downside? My host recounted a story of a friend of his who once came visiting, and on finding he wasn't home decided to wait for him on the steps of his house. Soon enough, the police came calling to see why a black man was loitering....

I got the guardian's bulky friday edition to keep myself occupied on the last train out of paddington and to my delight, discovered a review to the talented Asa's debut album here. Whilst i was dissapointed at the overall rating of three stars (i disagree as i would give it four), i could't help but agree with the reviewer's verdict on the producers input on strings and electronics which i think drowned out a lot of the beauty of asa's raw talent. However, for a debut album i think she has done incredibly well. Listen to bits of it here.

1 Comments:

At 9:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you were in london on Vals you could not call your friend or send her flowers (while she was ill with a migrane)?,

then you went to see phantom with out her as well?

shame on you, you have been caught!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home