Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Inner thinking of blood and race!

I have just seen the fascinating programme by channel 4 titled "100% english". Basically the programme tackles the preconcieved perceptions we all have about race and ethnicity. It does so by interviewing a group of rather ordinary "english" people on their perceptions on what being english is about. I must say, i whilst i wasn't particularly surprised at the replies given; i was taken aback by the outcomes of the programme.
One of the characters included was a bigoted so called english woman who runs a charity of ethnic english people. Turns out she has romany gypsy ancestry. Perhaps if she had not threatened to sue channel 4 the whole episode would have gone away!! Then there was the lady from kent who sighed with relief when she found out she didn't have any genetic references to sub-saharan Africa. How do we see ourselves? How do we see race? In retrospect, i see how easily i have fallen prey to this essentialist thinking on race and identity. I remember coming across Jeremy of Naijablog's web page and finding it difficult to reconcile his caucasian picture to his identity stamp of english/yoruba hybrid! Of course most would react that way; perhaps this explains why he is often misrepresented as racist or imperialist when he voices his views on the shortcomings of Nigerian soceity. Is his being white a hinderance to his being Nigerian? Is being Nigerian being black? Does it work the same way with Immigrants in this society; voicing their views and their rights? With reference to blogging, does it in anyway explain my preconcieved ideas of my fav blogs..ie everchange as a young black woman and eshuneutics as a distinguished older black male?
My brother is mixed race. Up until univerisity, My brother might have been black in my eyes. Why? Is his being Nigerian/yoruba contrary to our stereotypical image of a mixed race kid? In retrospect, there are two types of mixed race kids in Nigeria. There are the ason (ie yoruba word for posh) ones who assume their white identity and accentuate it by speaking in a certain way, growing their hair and associating with only a certain kind of people. Then there are the kpaki ones(more hardcore and more fun really) who could not care less about their heritage; and in most cases are more localised than "ethnically pure" people. I notice how the ason ones come across as better at eveything. Better spoken, rich, better looking, etc...is that how we as a people see the other side? Does this explain the failure in our system? Perhaps for our leaders, the west is prosperous and white, Africa is poor and black? food for thought?
I was recently engaged in a class discussion on race and ethnicity. My tutor, the African American GJ i blogged about earlier posed the question, how would you deal with it if you suddenly found out that you were not so ethnically pure? Of course all the white students all declared that they would not care less...which somehow did not ring true. How would you deal with it if you suddenly found out that you had chinese or Iranian heritage?how?

8 Comments:

At 2:09 pm, Blogger Nomad said...

Interesting Uzo. I also watched the program recently and mentioned it on my blog; we are not who we think we are. I for one, am so curious, I cant wait to have this test done on me. I'm rubbing my hands with glee coz I've always relished a good story, I hope it wont be too boring.

 
At 2:11 pm, Blogger Nomad said...

What was I thinking, calling you Uzo? Pardon me, and please ignore that bit.

 
At 7:27 pm, Blogger Quest said...

if I found out i had iranian heritage? i would be intrigued.

i think the word racism has different connotations, depending on who's using it. as someone whose "race-consciousness" developed through activism and conversations, i see racism as a system that almost everyone is born into. I don't think a white man criticizing Nigeria is "racist" automatically, it should be a lot more complicated than "you're white you don't like us you're racist." I'm more interested in his mindset, the position he occupies and whether he recognises it. i am more intrigued by "privilege" than racist acts...just as I seek an end to "patriarchy" rather than just sexist acts.

Racism/privilege is a difficult thing to shake off, just as I am quite sure you have found it difficult to shake off patriarchal/sexist thinking, and we both wrestle with homophobic thinking. The question becomes, when somëone "on the other side" calls you out on it, how do you respond?

I was just thinking about this today...this is why I am interested in nonviolent theory; because it ends up being much more than just "kill whitey." A non-violent anti-racism speaks truth to power, and does not suppress anger/rebellion in order to "keep the peace." Yet it propagates love, reconciliation and healing.

 
At 12:19 am, Blogger A.H. said...

A very intriguing post. I missed the programme, but actually I don't mind that. It is quite good just to read someone else's view and run with it. I think you have said something very important when you talk about how "race" is positioned, how it meets class and individuals construct what they want to be. Everchange's non-violent anti-racism speaking truth to power is an interetsing idea...very bell hooks, I imagine. But I wonder even about this. Anti-racism is always fighting a shadow. Of course, this has to be done. But it also misses the reality: constructing the positive identity or identities and being pro-race. Because "race" is such a difficult issue it is easier for people to be anti-racist. You have given me much to think over. Great post. Hm. What does it mean to be "pure" or "impure"? Hm.

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger Naijadude said...

Which explains tolerance, irrespective of who we might think we are or what our heritage might be.
It is going to change my outlook and the way I associate with such people, if I realise I have "Iranian" heritage. I usually have a preconceived hatred towards other ethnicity based on the history that was passed onto me by the appreciation of my race by them. If I sense some animosity towards where I identify with, ethincally or geographically.

I am not racist but I tend to think, if you wouldnt like me for who I am, why would I shed my extra sweat for my liking towards you. It shouldnt be like that, but we live in this world which we tend to realise discrimination happens everywhere irrespective of where you are from or not.

 
At 5:22 pm, Blogger A.H. said...

Is there a difference between who we are and what we are? I remember some years ago there was a lot of talk about the gay gene: for some there was real hope that who they were could be reduced to genetic make-up...as with gender. The media seems to be going in the same direction again: race can be reduced to genetic percentages. (The BBC have exploited this wonderfully in their programmes recently on tracing family history. Interesting that they went into this in more than unusual depth with Colin Jackson--as if a "he is black so let him dig more" approach was appropriate). I think naijadude hits on the truth here that hatred is "pre-conceived" by cultural up-bringing. As with the Nazis, they only needed genetic theory to back-up their racial hatred. They found in Science what they were looking for. Isn't there an assumption that by knowing our genetics we know how to behave? Chromosomes make me this gender...this sexual gene-marker makes me this...10% Iranian ancestry makes me like these people...now I will conform to this. Odd!

 
At 1:02 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

@ nomad: thanks i most tend to think i am ibo! If only there were more people like you.
@ everchange: absolutely right as usual, racism/priviledge is difficult to shake off!
naijadude, when thinking that way don't you suppose that perhaps conclusions are not always logical and more sentimental therefore incorrect? preconcieved ideas work in the same way patriachal nigeria stumps women in the workplace and even sexuality! Does this perhaps explain the shortcomings in Nigerian society?

 
At 5:15 pm, Blogger Quest said...

...coming on my blog and instigating stuff. update yours jare!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home