Saturday, April 07, 2007

Mentorship

I'm entering a writing competition that explores the issues of mentorship, a topic i am very passionate about. In my opinion, Nigeria lacks greatly in this department and this could greatly explain the issues with have with our society...contemporary Nigerian society i mean. How can a society exist when it does not cater for its future?
I have been very fortunate to have been born last to a family where every one's got your back, especially if you are the youngest. Being last, one could argue that i grew up rather quickly; my parent's inhibition on my case letting me explore and learn faster. This exposed me to accessing people i wanted to choose as mentors or life coaches in my future decisions. Some would argue that the role of the parent falls into this category but we all know that to be partly untrue, after all; there is only so much one can tell his parent....
I was sixteen or seventeen when i first met Funmi Iyanda. I was gawky, badly dressed and i think dreadfully shy as one is at that age. I smile as i think back to the time....what possessed me to do such unthinkables? I had an idea though and followed it through with the raw passion of naivety open to only the young. After the first few sentences, FI (as we call her) rushed me out to lunch and implored me never to stop trying. Well it didn't actually turn out that way, i lie!! We had a long conversation about all sorts of things but i think the most important thing i will take away from that meeting is the analogy of the Bumble bee and its defiance of nature's laws. I never forgot that...
I met Ade Bakare a couple of years later. An immensely talented designer and visionary, i told him that his foray into the Nigerian market would end in disaster...his reply? Well, he has successfully set up a branch in Victoria Island's Sandiland Arcade in Lagos and that is just the icing on the cake. His story has taught me more than anyone else's that you get what you want only if you want it badly enough.
To digress a little bit, isn't it funny how little pockets of inspiration come from the most unlikely places. Turns out i know the person behind uknaija, one of the blogs i totally appreciate; anonymously of course. It is a small world they say. Funny thing is, when i met uknaija in person (i wasn't a blogger then); i was very inspired by his intelligence and listened intently to all he had to say, telling myself that this is someone who could inspire. And then his alter ego does the same thing. I remember leaving a comment on his blog ages ago, something corny but precise. Well i do know him and for all those who read his blog, there's no arguing that there is intelligence there.
This society, British society i mean has learned the trick of the trade. They learned it ages ago. Mentorship is such an important structure of the mechanics of society; it should never be ignored. How can one have a present if your future is not taken care of? The Nigerian society has failed its youth, again not a revelation. As the Nigerian society continues to fail, then we will all have ourselves to blame. It is afterall our individual duties to make sure our futures are certain and this can only be done by ensuring future generations are provided for. What have you done about it?
Read about Funmi Iyanda here and Ade Bakare here.

8 Comments:

At 6:08 am, Blogger A.H. said...

The UK Society has learnt "The trick of the trade". Has it? mentoring (in educational terms) is something that the UK does very badly...at least, so I would argue. And what is mentoring? I spent some time discussing concepts of mentoring with Dr Richard Villa--who is a world expert on mentoring models and inclusive education--which was enough to show me how badly it is done by the education system. Good luck with your essay.

 
At 6:12 am, Blogger A.H. said...

P.S.
Is a mentor and a life-coach the same thing? Is this getting confused with "hero worship" in society? Personally, I think "life-coaching" is one of the biggest jokes around.

 
At 2:58 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

Thanks for stopping by eshuneutics. Perhaps the words i should have used were in comparison/relatively when comparing British Mentorship attitudes to those non-existent in Nigeria. Of course the young black male shows a failing in British society with reference to mentorship and education but the focal point of my entry was on the Nigerian issue which is DIRE! I know because i have had first hand experience..
The life coach/mentorship issue in my perspective is entirely down to perspective!

 
At 3:00 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

And in my opinion, the UK is doing rather well in mentoring regardless of the issues raised everywhere...i mean this in general education levels and getting people into work. All relatively of course!!!

 
At 5:01 pm, Blogger A.H. said...

The UK is doing well? Not if statistics published today are interpreted: and these, as ever, hide what is happening to black pupils. Yes, the govt has improved its targets in primary education, but more that 40% of black pupils are failing targets by the age of 11 (I might be slightly wrong with these figures). You might be interested in the Generating Genius programme and the emphasis that it places on mentoring.

 
At 10:05 pm, Blogger Chude! said...

Life coaching is most certainly a joke. Doesnt belong in the same sentence with mentoring. No jokes.

GB, won't pretend I got the gist of the UK Naija reference tho. Guess we'll talk when next you're online.lol

 
At 10:58 am, Blogger internationalhome said...

I will slug that one out with you chude when i ring you. The uknaija thing Was digressing. I had met him physically and had the same opinions of his annoynymous alter ego. Inspiration is inspiration chikena!

 
At 7:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I came across your blog today and i have to say i like the way you write, i bet you get firsts or 2:1's in your essay. I am so intrigued by you, what are you studying?. I would like to know, you strike me as some kind of sociologist. I am a 23yr Nigerian male , and i am doing a degree in Sociology here in the Uk as well. Wow i guess i am addicted to your blog, i will be checking it out regularly.

For such a talented person/writer like you, and a self proclaimed metrosexual it wouldn't hurt seeing a few pictures of you on your blog.( I am sure you are easy on the eyes)

Love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home