Monday, April 10, 2006

Double standards!!



What is it about Double standards that absolutely pisses me off? We experience it in our everyday lives, from the way we wrinkle our noses at criminals to even going to church on Sundays. Its a new week for me and my week has just begun with events that surround this issue.
The news today has been overcome with stories of English soccer superstar Wayne Rooney's 700,000 pound debt incurred from gambling. Of all the absurd conclusions made today, i would say that the most annoying was the television commentator who referred to the amount of starving children in Africa that amount of money could save. Fair enough that money could go a long way in some parts of the world, but since when was it a twenty something year old boy's job to save the world? How dare anyone complain about how a young man spends his hard earned money? Don't we all indulge in activities our finances can't deal with in reality? I think back to my recent spending spree in London last weekdend and i still shudder. In my opinion, the young man has earned his money and deserves to be left alone to make his mistakes. My grouse here would be the mis-directed attention of the media from issues that hold a higher relevance to the stability of society re: the stories of the American govt launching nuclear weapons against Iran. Surely that sentence in itself says it all.....
On a lighter note, my boss at work revealed details of a dirty weekend she had....Away from her boyfriend. Not knowing how to react, i laughed it off hoping she wouldn't see my horror. What struck me then was our ability as human beings to quickly assume that other people's actions against norms of society are wrong and distasteful but meanwhile we all indulge ourselves in one way or the other. Have we never cheated in a relationship? and looking counts.....
Regardless of the way we see things, it is apparently inherent in human beings to hold double standards; often preaching do as I say and not do as I do. We may not all be in powerful government offices to activate and de-activate wars but yet we vote in these people, does this say anything about us? We may not all be cavorting young women liasing with sexy dark dangerous strangers, but do we want to deep down inside? If we earned 500,000pounds a month, would our spending habits change drastically? The questions could go on and on but I will stop here, and refuse to go on!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home