Monday, April 23, 2007

I am very angry! Perhaps a better word would be melancholic as angry is too strong a word. I tried all weekend to ignore the happenings in Nigeria ref: the elections but couldn't. As i tried to search the internet and even the Nigerian tv station on sky, i was left to rely on reuters and the BBC....and we all know what sort of information you would be presented with when you go there. When will we realise that we need a media of our own? Alright, i am about to go off on a tangent so i'll stop there.
Back to my anger or melancholia or whatever it is i am feeling. My friend's dad passed away last weekend. Well, he is not actually my friend's dad but more his uncle. Any Nigerian reader would understand how this works as surrogate parenting is a norm in that part of the world where society overtakes the government in its duties. The man was very young...only about fifty if only just about. He worked away from home and worked very hard. Its a typical sad story. The kids are young and all at university. The eldest got jammed by JAMB (the awful matriculation exams to get into university which succeeds more at keeping people out than getting people in) and so is a late starter. The woman does not work and knows little about the man's business. The eldest boy is a teenager who is supceptible to manipulation. Bound by tradition, he is now the head of the family and therefore decision maker. I could go on and on about the woes of this issue. How do they survive someone might ask? They will. It is Nigeria afterall. Somehow everyone does.
I was reading on a comment posted by another reader on Funmi Iyanda's blog which talked about the death of a young man as a result of the unavailability of a dialysis machine which costs a mere 70k US dollars. The tragedy of this. Even more pronounced as i watched the London Marathon on television yesterday, people running for good causes and the like.
I apologise if i come across as incoherent, i am just confused right now. It is wrong that the little people suffer in this way. No one even knows what killed my friend's father. And then, there is the case of the dialysis machine which is just pathetic. Isn't it ironic that it costs the same as some governor's wife pocket money for summer in London? All this happens as Atiku and Buhari jostle for THAT power on the guise of protecting democracy. On the other side of the world, a real battle of ideologies ensues as Nikolas Szarkozy and Segolene royale battle our France...what is wrong with this world?
I better leave it, this is beginning to get to me!

There is a link to Funmi's blog on the left pane

6 Comments:

At 2:15 pm, Blogger Azuka said...

Anyone who loves Nigeria and tries to keep up with things is bound to get frustrated a lot. Just don't think too much about it...

 
At 12:04 am, Blogger Nilla said...

I wish I had 24 hr high speed internet, I would have kept you guys updated. But Nkem's blog did a good job too.

I have said it on more than one blog now...it would be nice if you guys outside could watch NTA online....it's so different from what you get on foreign media - for instance CNN kept showing how their light was used for counting the votes.
While with NTA you could see some places where the elections went on fine and some places were elections didnt even hold, etc.

I feel you on Atiku and Buhari...

I'm sorry about your friend's dad.

Regarding the French elections, I'm rooting for Royal....lol.

Have a wonderful week!!

 
At 12:21 pm, Blogger Naijadude said...

Relax gentleman, take a deep breathe and relax... I am really angry at the state of the Nigerian affairs as well... It is just as frustrating!!

 
At 1:05 pm, Blogger Quest said...

That's so sad. The same thing happened to my best friend when we were in secondary school. Her dad just "slumped" and died. Its amazing how often we use that word to describe what killed someone. What the hell is "slump"? Such is the state of healthcare in Nigeria.

I just hope that our generation of women wise up and keep earning a bit of income after they marry and have kids. It is almost as if people have not learned that wives usually outlive their husbands. My friend's mother has not held a job in the past ten years since her husband died, and I'm wondering how long the inheritance is going to last.

 
At 6:28 pm, Blogger omohemi Benson said...

Breathe bro, breathe...
I totally understand, sorry about your friend's father.

Take it easy man.

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger internationalhome said...

thanks all for stopping by!
@azuka: one can't help but try...
@ nilla:NTA is perhaps worse off for being pshychofantic. I must once again, insist that we do not have our own media. As per Mme Royale, i support her too but she will not win.
@naijadude: glad u feel me!
@ everchange: are todays women not daughter's of yesterdays wives? we can only hope that the daughter will not be like her mother...however unlikely.
@ OB..thanks a lot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home