Saturday, April 15, 2006

Reality Bites of a naive little boy!



It’s Saturday evening and for me, the weekend has finally arrived! In a sense, I have had an exciting week, only not exciting in the real sense of things. I think I should say I had more of an eye opener this week! Recent events of the world stage didn't catch my attention this week... not at all. On the contrary, I was more immersed in mine. Sudden realization of the existence and reality of issues of the nature of racism are a bit difficult to swallow. Up until now, I have been very comfortable in my skin (lol), confident of my intellectual capability and maybe even seen myself as rather suave and cosmopolitan. Some people apparently may think I am not, all for the sake of the color of my skin. And considering recent happenings in the news (as per political correctness...i knew i said i wouldn’t talk about recent events...er so i won't!), they most likely will not air their opinions publicly. I wonder if that is such a good thing! I was having a chat with a Nigerian friend at work called Chi chi and we got on the issue of "bringing up the next generation of émigré’s", a much talked about issue with Nigerians in Diaspora. As usual, we all agreed solemnly to the disservice we would be doing our children by doing so. Of course, this was accompanied with the usual snorting and down turned lip movements typical of Nigerians when discussing an issue with a forgone conclusion. However, our reasons for agreeing were quite different. While she hankered on about the children in this 'country' not having respect, and declared that her children would have respect; clasping her breasts to emphasise....I mused about mine! I thought heroically about rescuing my children(if I had any) from growing with a stigma attached to the color of their skin, after all I had come from Nigeria unscathed by any stigma...completely comfortable in my skin. They would be aloof amongst their peers, ready to compete on the international stage without any social constructs hunting them in the wings. When I reflect upon these thoughts now in the comfort of my bedroom, I suddenly realise that this is not necessarily a good thing. Yes growing up in country like Nigeria doesn't present you with social constructs as one would experience in the western societies, however, does that prepare you to for the eventualities you encounter when you go out there? (Because you will, as is the nature of most youths from Africa) I was reading Thisdayonline's latest headlines this evening (I know I said I wouldn't touch on recent events...and i really must stop all these silly side comments) and the story that struck me was the one about Nigerian falling to pieces tomorrow...a story run by some insignificant tabloid in some backwater county in the US. Yet it made the headlines in a major newspaper, not only a news leader in Nigeria but across the continent. Hmmmmm.... I was not quite sure what to make of it really. Even if their horrible predictions were true, what are we to do? I must admit to Nigeria's dire future and my feelings of concern at the speed at which the country seems to be heading towards this waterloo. I agree that if Nigeria fails, it will bring down the entire region causing untold horrors. Sigh. Why are our leaders so wicked? Or are they so stupid? Are we living up to a stereotype? I must admit naiveté on a lot of issues. I have been naive with respect to relationships, crucial decisions, and perception of the environment I find myself in and even love. Does this naiveté make me stupid? Was each erroneous action a statement of who I am? As I ask these questions, I query the very essence of nature and even the social construct that make up the mechanics of this society. Is the African question a consequence of this naiveté?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home