Monday, April 17, 2006

Show me the meaning!!!!


Gosh it’s quite late! Or early considering it’s almost half past one in the morning. I have just returned from a relaxing evening of food and drinks with some Nigerian friends. The evening was too hilarious to put into words. I did have fun though, which is always a good thing. With reference to one of the subjects animatedly discussed at the gathering, it is always a good thing to network as you never know who or what people might turn out to be. I was a little shocked to be honest (even though I feel guilty for thinking this way), as the conversation was very good. The various topics discussed were actually thought provoking and sensible.....future ambitions, realism of it all and even the very essence of life. Most interesting however, was a thought provoking question which I found intriguing. Are there reasons for EVERY action here on earth? Trust me, I was up in arms about how everything has an explanation and how we all have a purpose here but if we are to be realistic...is there really a reason for it all? Could we possibly be caught up in some mindless warp of time and space? Do we really need to achieve? Do we have to differentiate? Does Africa have to be poor? I could go on and on.....
Late last night (I mean Saturday night), I decided against going into work the next day as it was Easter Sunday. I wanted to "go to church" like a good catholic and do something honorable for a change. If I am to be honest with myself, I was bored to tears at church. Whilst the ceremony was beautifully put together, the choir out of this world and even the priest singing the Kyrie eleison to perfection, I could not get a connection. I could not feel the spirit as one would in a lively church with people clapping and singing loudly. With drums and cymbals adding to the delicious cacophony of praise as one would have back home. Should I have stayed home or gone to work instead? Had I miscalculated once again? Am I truly catholic?
I spent the most of the afternoon lazing around, talking on the phone and not doing much really. Yes, I worked on my introduction for my second essay but that wasn't much if I am to be honest with myself. Sigh. In all truthfulness, I spent a totally valuable day doing absolutely nothing; once again I ask myself if that action was justified. Do I work hard enough to deserve a rest? Do I take life too seriously? Am I in too much of a hurry?
I forwarded an IM I got on my yahoo address to some of my contacts and basically the message that instructed the receiver to send an IM describing me in one word. Of course I got loads of replies, some nice, some ok, some rude and some even sexy...but what caught me was the repeated use of the words diligent and controlled! What the hell does that effing mean? Sigh. Whilst I battle all these questions flying around in my head, I can only look forward to the week ahead as it spells two things. One, we are closer to the summer and second and most important, its one more week closer to pay day WOO HOO...I am a skin flint!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home