Sunday, July 02, 2006

Have a good rant whilst drinking an iced drink on a hot day!


Last night I fell asleep in the bath. It has never happened to me before. I suppose I must have been enjoying myself to the fullest, just lying there in the warm heat of the soapy water as it caressed my naked goosbumped skin whilst listening to the best of jazz from Ella to krall. In defence, I tell myself that I needed that luxury to shut out the awfulness of life's reality as one would experience if one were going through a bad time at school, play or work as in my case. As often as I can, I try to shut out the harsh realities of living as a black man (and African in this society) and focus on the final destination, however; one's resolve assumes a weak persona when faced with constant battering with the evidence of racism. Why do they do it, I wonder?
The above rant is an offshoot of a week of corny office soap opera type playing out of racial prejudice and advantage taking of which yours truly was a principal character. I got home Saturday evening glad to be out of there and thought to myself, why? Why? Why? What is it about this society that makes people think they are better than others purely by virtue of their skin colour or heritage? A reference would be the idiotic ranting of a blogger called naijablog whose ceaseless ranting of the inadequacies of the Nigerian society exasperates me in the most infuriating way. And that is putting it mildly!! Perhaps it isn't my place to complain; after all I am in another man's house. Of course if I was in my own country, I would have to adopt the siddon look mentality peculiar to that part of the world!!
Today compensated for the dodgy week just gone past. Had a delightful friend over and we talked for hours and then spent most of the evening reading a new book in the back garden accompanied with great music from aha and Duran Duran, an ice cubed something and the best weather anyone could ask for!

6 Comments:

At 8:05 pm, Blogger A.H. said...

Sorry, you had such a bad week. Hope you feel whole once more. Are you "in another man's country"?
And does that excuse anything. Suppose you were here permanently, not as a student, the racism would be just the same and then it would be your country? What is the problem? The "country"? Or the "man"? As James Baldwin would have said to you, quoting his novel, we all live in "Another Country" as far as male-inspired prejudice is concerned. I wish you had said a little more about the experiences themselves. Aha and Duran Duran? Where did you dig those up from?
"I try to shut out the harsh realities of living as a black man". Is that good, it negates who you are? Your term "persona" is an interesting one. Do you use it technically or just as a common phrase? The mask? But you are good at opening up...why a mask?

 
At 11:17 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm...this post is so sensible. Did I get it?

 
At 9:56 pm, Blogger A.H. said...

When I asked, "What is the problem? The man?" I did not mean the "man" to refer to you. Hope you did not think that. I meant this man-made country/patriarchy from which racism bleeds. Thought I had better clear that up.

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

Not quite sure what your comment meant onyeka but i hope you did
Many thanks for your kind comments eshunutics, once again, thoughtful and insightful. I agree on the issue of not going into detail, i suppose i feared that by doing so i would be validating the situation.
P.s I am an old man in my head, explains the duran duran and AHA!!

 
At 9:29 pm, Blogger Id it is said...

The world needs a make over, not just your country! People live within the close confines of a community, an ethnicity they term their own, and then everything on the outside is other, foreign, almost alien. In this mental framework their vision is no different than that of a horse with blinders on.
Forgive them and if you can't ignore them.

 
At 1:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blood, sip some more ice-t man...should take the pressure off working in this country. On a random note, i recon Ice-t and duran duran ought to make a song together.
*lets dance...put on your bullet-proofs and lets dance..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home