Thursday, April 20, 2006

Confessions of a naive black mind!

Earlier on this evening, Sean and I engaged in one of our argumentative debates on world issues and current affairs. Our topic of discussion centered around immigration policy and fitting in as it were. According to Sean, people weren't trying hard enough to integrate as they still held onto their cutlures and former way of life with reference to the way they dressed for instance. This opinion I find to be typical of the average westerner but unfortunate considering hopes of a borderless world. I mean, do we all have to wear jeans and T-shirts to fit in? Is wearing a burka wrong? Isn't this against the whole idea of a free society, considering the very basis of most western societies as bastions of democracy. Sigh. It appears the big governments have now become the 'Big men' of the world, "Big men"as in the term the western media sarcastically use in description of African men (fortunately or unfortunately) in a position of power. Whilst the US once again exercises its hegemony over the rest of the world through the export of its culture, it has not for once considered absorbing some from the outside...Which is a terrible shame. I cannot understand how a people can close up to information. Knowledge and exposure is such a beautiful thing. As I pointed out to Sean, most of the western societies do themselves a disservice by not absorbing more information from the outside. What we find nowadays are a breed of un-intelligent kids who do not know where timbuktu is..ref:chantelle of the Big brother fame.
At work today, Emma my boss swung through moods as she contemplated her forthcoming holiday. I have got to give it to the young lady, she certainly knows her stuff and i would agree that she deserves a holiday. As i watched a new episode of new TV show commander in chief, I could only reflect on the past day. The message I got from that particular episode of the show was READ BETWEEN THE LINES. Between Emmas mood swings and her agreeing to my observation that I am a shallow person, perhaps I am indeed missing something......
Too tired to continue, must get sleep!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home