Sunday, October 22, 2006

A beard, a pair of legs and two thoughts to share!

Recently, actress, model, author Isabella Rosellini who's famous for being the daughter of Ingrid Bergaman and director Roberto Rosellini, being the face of lancome, writing a book and making a movie described her father as a "jiggling belly that spoke"...words her twin sister found inappropriate. I didn't think it was inappropriate, rather i could identify with that. I often thought of my parents in rather inappropriate ways....description wise i mean.
My father for me was a toothy beard. He tended to sport one not unlike captain haddock in the tin-tin comics, a style typical to men of a certain age in the 80's i would imgaine. He wasn't the sort to laugh carelessly, but when he did; he let it all out! Melodious, rich, meaningful and toothy. Perhaps it wasn't that toothy and it was just the beard making it look so...anyway, that's the image i have in my head and i am sticking to it.
My mother was legs. All legs! When i was younger, they seemed to stretch for miles. As i grew older, i laughed at the thought of how good she would have been for cabaret if she was born in a different environment. You know, the hat, the legs in tights or both just dangling off a piano singing for drinks! Perhaps that in itself is inappropriate. Anyway, she seemed really tall for my slighlty -older - than- toddler frame and nicole richy skinny too. Perhaps that's why the parisian style dresses she wore in special occassions hung so well on her. I have just noticed that i have been using past tense in her description. My mother is very alive now, but in a different way. Her legs are no longer long and sleek but have now become shortish and thicker. Perhaps it is because i have i have grown older that i feel we have swapped places. My once short, stumpy legs from childhood transformed to her long sleek ones.
I miss that idea. My mother and her long legs and my then my father and his entity. I wish we didn't have to grow old. I wish we could just travel into our memories and live them over and over again. I ....Perhaps one day when my legs become short and stumpy, have my own haddock beard and become a talking belly i will understand why all this happens in the first place!

3 Comments:

At 6:38 pm, Blogger Quest said...

lol!! you are so cheeky.

 
At 9:30 pm, Blogger A.H. said...

mtb, you have a nice sense of irony! :-)

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

cheers..i'm glad you enjoyed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home