Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My Shock at a wizened old beard!

GJ is my new lectuerer on culture, subjectivity and power. I won't bother going into the intricate details of the module itself, as it's name is self explanatory...a rather controversial module that deals with societal issues such as race, sexuality and ethnicity. I met GJ by chance as i had not originally set out to take this module; but as a result of the many cock up's in my schools admin body with regards to my module combinations; i found myself a module short of my 120credits required and hence had to haunt for a replacement.
I remember sitting in my award tutors office at the start of the week; A rather boring woman who often confuses disshelved for arty misrepresentation. She droned(literaly) on about how things haven't been done and listed possible options for me to contemplate..one of which was culture, subjectivity and power by GJ. In hindsight, i remember how she hesitated not entirely sure if it would be a good idea.
The week before last, two friends of mine...one Nigerian and the other welsh (a smoking, talking fish) urged me to dump one of my modules for this culture, subjectivity and power whilst we stood in the fag room....the welsh boy pulling on his fags whilst we inhalded as secondary smokers. I use welsh and Nigerian in description as both boys bear the same name...odd innit!
I eventually weighed all of this and decided to go to the lecture this afternoon. I was shocked when i arrived at the room! GJ was black american, wizened with a white beard and greying hair. As i slunk into the room trying to understand why i was shocked, he suddenly pointed and bellowed "YOU!" i have not seen you before, come here!
I won't go into detail on our conversation, but it turned out to be an experience i am glad i didn;'t miss out on. He talked in the wise old way african men talk. He was authoritative, knowledgable and articulate. Perhaps too much so. As he talked on controversial topics(some even scandalous), a lot of the other students (funny, there were very few students in the class and most were white) often looked away or down at their shoes...uncomfortable?
After the lecture, as i ruminated what i had just seen and heard; i suddenly realised why i had been shocked earlier.
Upon hearing his name and the comments by the friends who had already been to his class; i imagined him to be white and middle class of a certain age...why?
As i entered the class, the black man with the overwhelming presence must have been a concept i had forgotten as i was taken aback by this.
It is obvious here to see the social construction of class and race in this society. coming from a society like Nigeria, where powerful black men were an abundance (and i dont mean pot bellied politicians); inspiration and support for the young black male is not in question. However, in this society; i suddenly understand why there is an under achieving class made up of pre-dominantly black, young males. Who are they to learn from and look up to?

2 Comments:

At 9:32 pm, Blogger A.H. said...

I really enjoyed this story...a fable in a way. Hope he will be a good presence for you to have down there in Cardiff. Do you know Higher Learning (film)? A great study of the strong black intellectual.

 
At 3:38 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

i have seen higher learning in fact and can understand why you brought it up. Till recently, the pogniancy of that movie escaped me. It appears to me that GJ like the lead in higher learning holds a certain mistrust for the young black male..is this inherent in the black intellectual then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home