Sunday, April 29, 2007

Since when did i become a married Nigerian woman?

I finally know what it is like to be a married Nigerian woman. Yesterday was one of the longest days of my life. I started as early as five am sorting out things at home including emails and such. Was at work all day as had to catch up on work stuff and was there for practically twelve hours. That done, hopped on the train back home and was met at the train station by JF who reminded me that i needed to get food. So off to the shops for a marathon of shopping. It would have been much easier if JF didn't have a mild case of OCD. He insists that kitchen shelves be stacked in the style of a supermarket and the fridge, in a manner that pleases the eye....ahh, the bloody french!! So offloading food from the shopping bags into the kitchen was not an easy task as you can imagine. We were done just before nine and so JF let me go off to my friend Abi who had promised to cook me proper food....this was to entail lugging bags of food, ingredients and slaving in a kitchen alongside her for almost five hours. However, it was worth it. Every bone in my body ached but the smell of lovely jollof rice, barbecued chicken, stews and the like compensated. Her piece d'resistance was the beef pieces soaked in a special marinade she kicked me out of the kitchen to prepare. Some will wonder what the fuss is about, ranting on about jollof rice and the like. In my world of cornflakes and beans/toast, it is! Then it was lugging lunch packs of food back to my house at two am in the morning to have a long hot shower and finally bed with the best of Jill Scott!!!
Only difference between the married Nigerian woman and me is i didn't at this stage have to have sex with some stupid oily man!

6 Comments:

At 7:40 pm, Blogger Azuka said...

Some people love oily men. Don't ask me why!

 
At 9:14 pm, Blogger internationalhome said...

@ azuka: lol lol lol....ok, i won't!!

 
At 5:22 pm, Blogger uknaija said...

Hahaha

 
At 8:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guessed I must have missed something in your post...
How exactly does that day typify a married nigerian woman life?

 
At 12:37 am, Blogger Naijadude said...

hahah that was hilarious. But guess what buddy, busy and rather eventful day symbolize life in a Nigerian woman's life? hmmmm nice!!

 
At 12:53 am, Blogger internationalhome said...

@ uknaija thanks for stopping by
@ refinedone: long days, multi-tasking, cooking, domesticity, unfortunates, .....
@ naijadude: aw, comon!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home